Thursday 19 July 2012

Nails inc Special Effects 'Sprinkles' Review

Mr FHCS is pretty well trained. On our anniversary last month I was quite excited to be presented with a glossy carrier bag from Nails inc, which he'd visited under his own steam to facilitate my polish fetish. [Obviously carrier bags are mainly exciting for what's inside them. I'd have been less thrilled and more divorce-y with an empty one]. Anyway, he'd braved the scary orange ladies of House of Fraser and they'd assisted him in choosing some of the latest goodies. As well as some top coat and a selection of 5 mini pastel shades, they'd steered him towards the new 'sprinkles' range.

 I won't go into one of my rants about how I'd rather strangle myself with bunting than give house-room to shabby chic signs adorned with cupcakes or read pink covered chick lit called 'Welcome to the Cupcake Cafe'. [Is there a random name generator for these somewhere? I sense a new post coming on]. I am bemused at how sticking a load of icing on a sponge somehow infers it with 'vintage' status. But you can imagine I did look slightly suspiciously at my favourite nail polish brand when I saw they'd hopped onto the creaking shuddering surely-the-wheels-will-come-off-this-soon bandwagon. There's a frickin' cupcake on the lid! Gaaah! But OK, let's give it a chance. 

Nails inc - Sweets Way

The first one I tried out was Sweets Way, which has a pale milky base, with small silver. pink and blue glitter. It goes on well - not gloopy like a lot of glitter polishes - and neither do you have to spend ages redistributing the glitter with the brush, it spreads out evenly. The glitter itself is slightly mattified, so you have a subtle shimmer as opposed to in your face sparkle. The overall effect is very like thin glacĂ© icing with, yes - you guessed it - sprinkles. So less like a cupcake with buttercream and more like a traditional fairy cake with 'hundreds and thousands'. I did two coats and a top coat and it lasted pretty well. Textured polishes are always easy to touch up if they chip and this was no exception. And I liked it! It's very girlie, but it would be a great look with ice-creamy pastel shades, or for a wedding.

I also tried Sugar House Lane, which is a latte coloured polish with matte black and white glitter particles. I loved this one, but it didn't really say 'cake' to me. More 'shared house kitchen flashbacks':

matching your nails to your 90s kitchen worktops - the new trend

Nails inc - Sugar House Lane 


Anyway, this one got loads of compliments and is definitely more edgy looking, but it's all a matter of taste and mood. There are another two in the range - Topping Lane (pink) and Pudding Lane (Blue). 


£11 each from Nails inc

They're  £11 each, although Nails inc has recently launched in the USA through Sephora, and is a lot cheaper there. They seemed to work out at more like £6 per polish. Very galling for the British girls who made the brand what it is, but there you go. If you're heading to the States I'd leave some room in your suitcase. Otherwise you could  - like me - become a Nails inc VIP and get 10% off everything on their website. Membership costs £5 for a year, and you get a free full size polish on joining, points with each purchase towards money off, and a gift in your birthday month.

What do you think? Have you tried these? Which is your favourite?

Lakota x

For how to remove glitter nail polish without tears - see my post here.

28 comments:

  1. You are Nail OBSESSED. The latte coloured one is rather too much like a 90s kitchen worktop. please do a shabby chic send up soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gathering pictures slowly but it's taking ages. There's lots of slightly dodgy stuff but I want the real BAD stuff!

      Delete
  2. Could not agree more - I love a yummy cupcake but who on earth decided they were vintage?! Fairy buns are much more my style!!

    Must say I definitely preferred the first polish to the second, the second reminds of depressing-coloured pebbledash houses!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the nail polish, the bright blue one looks great. As to those signs, Mr Y and I were only talking about them yesterday. They're popping up everywhere - he calls them Shabby S*!t! Charming :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really interesting nail varnish. I love the first one x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are our Go-To Girl for nail varnish reviews, Lakota! Alas, I am showing my age and a shocking lack of fashion-speak by calling it varnish and not polish...
    I like the second one better, I think, though I know what you mean about kitchen worktops... But that's not necessarily a bad thing! Show us the blue one, that looks like the one I would pick, if I wasn't so tight and ever parted with £11 for a nail varnish!
    Well done Mr FH&C, he is a truly loving husband for catering to your nail needs (or obsession, as Clare put it!)
    You have beautiful hands and nails - a new career beckons, love! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I have just subconsciously been affected by all the American blogs I read, I used to call it varnish too.

      Delete
  6. I love those. I think that the second one is my favorite. I'm with you about this shabby chic cupcake stuff and fully encourage you to do a post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I WANT the first one so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm another oldster that calls it nail varnish, too! The first one's my favourite, blue for nails is always a winner in my book.
    It's rare that I spend more than a tenner on anything, cheapskate that I am. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I really like the second one, it makes me think of granite tors, though that may just be because I'm a geography geek. I love your blog, I can't believe I just found it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the work top one the best x

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so odd! I'm not sure those colours are for me but if they bought out one in purple then it might lure me in! They remind me of that nail polish called Floam by Nail-Venturous which I have seen floating around the internet! Very odd indeed!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like these they remind me of 100 and 1000's you put on the cakes ;-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look lovely! I've got a few multi glitter ones from Models own and they definitely need a colour underneath- these look great! Well done to the Mr. ;) xxx

    www.thequickredfox.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOh I do like them - especially the turquoise blue one (get hubby to send me one will ya!) and now that I have Lakota's No Fail Glitter Polish Removal System (left over from lunch) I'm no longer afraid of glitter! Happy weekend, gorgeous! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I subscribe to a magazine which often gives away Nails Inc polishes as free gifts, but as I subscribe, I dn't get to choose, so always get the same shade, it may be a shade slightly lighter, but generally I always get burgundy. Oh! I got purple once! I don't like the way it goes on though, thankfully I didn't buy them.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be streaky but it will level out if you do several thin coats, I guess I'm just used to it! Glamour and InStyle very often give it away so I always buy them when they do.

      Delete
    2. I do that but then I go and smudge it, heh.

      Delete
  16. I call it nail varnish too, hee - I'm showing my age! I really like the 90s kitchen work top shade, and thanks for post about removing glitter nail varnish - I hate trying to get that stuff off!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love the blue too!!! I wish I was a nail vanish girl they look so pretty.
    Love v

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw this today and thought you might be interested:

    http://nailsisters.tumblr.com/

    particularly relevant after reading today's post I reckon x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I see here a lot of expression and character, I like!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to try Sweets Way, that looks amazing and I like that I wouldn't have to fiddle with the glitter being even! I love your post about removing glitter nail polish and now I don't have to rethink glitter polish because of the painful removal process!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love those glitter polishes! They look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really love the colours of these polishes much better than most of the other glitter polishes I have seen around which always seem a bit christmassy rather than for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want these wonderful glitter ctupcake nail polishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's no fun unless I know what you think!

If you ask a question others might want answering too I'll reply here in the comments - if it's personal, I'll reply directly by email if you're set up.